When I go out to lunch with my daughter-in-law Jenny, or my daughter Stacey, the first thing we do after being seated is to order spinach and artichoke dip for (as the English say) ‘starters’. The Chili’s Restaurants have a lovely one, but the darn thing is over $8.00. I don’t like to spend that on an entire lunch! Since I could eat this most every day, I decided it was time to learn to make my own. I ran through my check list when learning to create new food, and this is what I came up with. It was decent; we ate it and enjoyed it, but it still needs tweaking. Look for more incarnations to come later!
- 1 pkg Cream Cheese
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 2 cup Italian Cheese, shredded
- 2 cup Fresh Spinach, chopped
- 1 can Artichoke Hearts – NOT pickled
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees, take cream cheese out to soften
- In large bowl, mix cream cheese, sour cream, mayonaise, cheese, garlic and onion powder
- Stir in chopped spinach and artichoke hearts
- Pile in medium casserole dish, spread out (mixture will melt and spread as it cooks)
- Bake at 300 degrees for about 30 minutes
I think next time we will cut back the cream cheese and add some more parmesan, and thin it out slightly. Unfortunately, I ate so much of this batch, it will be awhile before I make more!